Friday 30 October 2009

Light Relief

Well after that Dan Brown book I needed some light relief. So I took up my old copy of The Anatomy of Human Destructiveness by Erich Fromm.


It's a thumping good read, and old Erich tackles some pretty big themes. In a world in which violence in every form seems to be increasing, Fromm ponders the whole nature/nurture thing and asks: what is there in the conditions of human existence to lead man to the orgies of destruction and violence in which he has indulged?

Well I'll tell him. As any trip down the main drag after dark will show one with eyes to see, the vast mass of folk are, in the main, filthy drunken animals fit only for senseless violence and joyless couplings in doorways.

Still. Keeps honest jobbing lawyers in claret and pies.

2 comments:

  1. I recall seeing two such folk at the madchester christmas markets in December of 2008. Drink fuelled alpha male droogs wobbling around St Annes square spinning on thier own axis' and threatening the dishes of paella and sausages with thier greedy eyes like they were arch enemies. man seeks permenant or temporary release from one of two things; stresses of thier daily lives (usually temporary) or the reality of thier financial ruin followiong a hefty divorce settlement (usually permenent).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sound like greedy lawyer types to me.

    The type of veck who me and my droogs used to crack in the bloody rot, the filthy fat sods. With a few backhand tolchocks and a sly bit of fist.

    ReplyDelete