Tuesday 3 November 2009

A Quiet Evening In

Last night, for the first time since about 1997, I sat down and watched a DVD.

Entitled 'Cook on the Wild Side', it featured an engaging fellow named Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall. A floppy-haired, well-educated chap, he reminded me very much of me, except that instead of suffering excruciating hangovers on a daily basis and occasionally dispensing legal advice, Hugh seems to spend his time driving around rural Wales in a battered Land Rover and eating crows.



While to my mind the show could have profited from a few deviant sex angles and the odd car chase, I'm all for the basic premise of self-sufficiency and harvesting nature's bounty. Inspired by his lifestyle, I have resolved to try the Hemingway thing, hunting, gathering, catching my own supper, for myself.

Admittedly wildlife is a bit thin on the ground at and around MotCO Towers. The odd squirrel, a few wood pigeons, nothing more than an amuse-bouche, really. I shall therefore commence my new culinary Odyssey with the neighbours' cats.

4 comments:

  1. I know where you live...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jolly good! I'll expect you at, shall we say 7 for 7.30? Fricassé of tabby with a decent Argentine Malbec to swill it down.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Electric Landlady3 November 2009 at 15:44

    When is Hugh F-W going to fearlessly attempt auto-cannibalism and give us all a). an ironic indictment of post post modernist culture and b). some bloody funny telly???

    ReplyDelete
  4. I dunno about auto-cannibalism, but my researches indicate that he achieved some minor notoriety for making paté out of a human placenta and serving it up to the parents of the child that the thing had been connected to.

    ReplyDelete